My Blog List

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Good Ole' Charlie...R.I.P. 2012


On thursday August 9th, 2012 the County of Fond du Lac, WI and various parts of the world lost one hell of a great man!  He was driving home from the State Fair with two friends, and his two Grand-Daughters(whom he took there everyyear) as he drove them all back home, he suffered a massive heart attack and did not survive.
Moi was very fortunate to know him.  His name is Charlie, Charlie Burnett.  He was...is a very talented man, with mechanics, computers and much much more.  He was... is a very loving father, grandparent, friend...
It's no secret that I did not always approve of some of Big Daddies friends' but Charlie was the exception.
My earliest memories of him take me back to when I was a teenager.  For a number of years he would take me to his country acreage each November so that I could cut down a fresh pine tree for the Holidays.
I never told him this, but one summer when I was 19, maybe 20...I suffered a bout with depression, he took my parents and I to his cabin, and we stayed there over-night.  The next day he presented me with a purpose.  I got onto the thatched roof and removed every single pine needle from it.  It was layered a few inches thick with needles.  For some unknown reason that gave me a sense of purpose, challenge, it was rewarding when I finished.  So I thank you for that.  Thank You Charlie.
Charlie has been a very good friend to my Dad(since they were young men) and to my Mother.   Whatever he could do for them, he did.
Every single time I have ever seen him, whether in his Auto Garage business, under a car, or at a social function...his eyes always have had a sparkle in them.  Not many people have that, but he did.
I always thought of him as "Doc in Back To The Future" -he somehow always reminded me of that character.
His wife, Nancy was ill for many years, and he basically raised their daughter, Holly- on his own.   I have always held much respect for him.  He raised her, and loved her and her children like mad.  He spoke of them alot.  I also respect him for remaining faithful to his ailing wife.  Most men would not.  He was one of the good guys.
Rest Peacefully, You WILL always be in our thoughts and memories!

No comments: