My Blog List

Monday, April 16, 2018

Cold Darkness, Chapter 14



I lay there, holding my breath, sweat dripping down from my brow.  He keeps yelling my name, he's above me now up on the stage by the orchestra pit.

CHRIS, MY SWEET INNOCENT COUSIN...  ANSWER ME, I SAID ANSWER ME DAMMIT!

I continued to lay in silence praying and hoping he would take the bait and descend into this cold darkness.

I hear scuffling noises, something loud hit the stage, then a dragging like sound that was like nails on a chalkboard.  Oh my god, is that some light shining down in here?  Finally he has opened the trap door high above me!  Tears start to gather in my eyes, as I'm elated at the very thought of seeing daylight again, or at least the possibility of it again.  The thought of seeing my family again...

Meanwhile in another part of the city, Chris's parents are gathered at their home with the Police Chief, and dozens of other police and family and friends. They are discussing the ground they have covered in their search efforts since discovering that Chris never boarded his plane that was bound for Paris.  They called JT who was suppose to be meeting him there.  JT was arriving at any time to join the search.  As it has now been 5.5 days that Chris has gone missing.

JT arrives and they all head out again to search.

DAMMMMM YOU CHRIS, I'M COMING FOR YOU!

Tyler began to climb down the ladder, swearing and yelling in circles. I tried to make out what he was saying, he was now in the orchestra pit above me, he's getting closer.
With frantic movements above me, more light flickering between the floor boards above, one by one he was removing them quickly, throwing them across the pit.  The light was glorious to be seen, it was now streaming down into this cold darkness offering a feeling of freedom I never thought I would see or feel ever again.

The ladder began to lower and then I saw them, a pair of feet appeared on the top rung.

This was it, this was either the end of me or the freedom I so desperately desired.



No comments: