My Blog List

Sunday, December 18, 2011

What Is The Meaning Of Christmas?

Recently Moi was challenged by someone who feels compelled to make Moi feel as if I DO NOT KNOW WHAT THE REAL MEANING OF CHRISTMAS IS.

Divine Man knows very well what the meaning of Christmas is.  Let me tell you what I know.

I may not have all of my childhood memories due to a very tragic situation that left me numb for years, but I recall one December as a child and I was standing on the stage of the lower level of the church my family has attended since Tulips and Big Daddy were wed.  Anywho, I remember standing up on that stage under the burning bright lights with more then 30 kids that were suppose to be singing “Away In The Manger,”  well it seemed that a group effort soon became a solo for Moi!  I stood there proud and sang my little heart out.  My Mom and Dad were in the audience and sat there with love and pride in their hearts.   Love.

My parents have worked very very hard for what they have.  They might not be wealthy with millions of dollars, or a mansion in the Hollywood Hills but are the riches people I know.  My parents have always wanted my bro and I to know that we are loved.  I don’t know of any other Mom that displays this in all she does.  Always thinking of others, creating joy, smiles and leaving imprints on the hearts of those she touches.  Big Daddy is an entertainer in his own right.  Yeah he can be crude, and then some, but he has always made sure that we had a home, clothes, food and security.  Under his hard shell is a soft center.

Again, Love.

Over the past days Moi has taken to the streets, the stores and even to the gas station…and has repeatedly asked this question:  What is the meaning of Christmas? 

I was told the following:

It is about sharing the day with those you love and cherish.  This came from an elderly man.

Prayer.  To celebrate real unconditional sacrifice.  To remember what we have.  This came from 2 Nuns.

Making new memories and new traditions.  A Bus Driver with a family shared this with Moi.

Giving to those that can not do so for themselves.  A teenage girl told me that she volunteers during December at shelters.

Helping people realize what they are worth.  An HR Manager.

The spirit of the season is about Love, Giving, Hope, Sacrifice, Celebration, Being Together, Knowing that each of us is here for an individual purpose.  Spoken by a Pastor.

After listening and collecting these feelings, opinions and comments I decided to look to my roots and asked Tulips what she felt:  She shared with me the following:

Getting together with family and friends, love, I bake special cookies, desserts that I give out to others on plates(that I know will appreciate that simple act of kindness) I also enjoy giving to others things such as gifts to my family and those I love and care about, even you Brady. 
Celebrating the spirit in church on Christmas Eve singing ballads and carols.  Knowing that everyone has someone to love, people to surprise and shock.  Everyone has their own ideas of what this holiday means.  Everything I do is because I love those around me.  I simply like to give, because one day I will not be here, and until then I want to make memories, smiles and excitement. 

Everything that Moi has been told is all true.  Christmas is what you as a person makes of it.  If you want to be a Scrooge, then so be it, but don’t belittle what others do or how they express what they feel. 
Or perhaps you have no family, or because of some unfortunate circumstances you are separated from your family and friends, such as those overseas in the military, or the homeless, those in the hospital, or grieving at a funeral, or because you choose to simply be an ass.  Or maybe you are with your family and others you care about and celebrate in whatever fashion you decide to do it in.  Who am I to say what it right and what is wrong?  Who Are You, who is anyone to say? 

So if this season is about Love, Sharing, Giving, Family and Beliefs …then live that.  Show it, be it.  Think of what others want in their heart, and not about what you only want.  Compromise.  Work together, instead of against each other like so many do. 

Think about it.  Love seems to be the common thread we all share.

Moi has a wish this holiday season…that my Godfather receives the miracle of the season, positive health…that those I love can all share in the magic together…to just be able to wake up on the 25th with my Diva Girl, Brady, Tulips, Big Daddy, his “boys” and “the little family.” 

That is all I want.  I don’t need gifts, material objects, I want and need those I love with me.

Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas, or whatever you celebrate!

No comments: