My Blog List

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

A Godmother With A Capital B!

Have you ever wondered who or when the role of Godparents were created?

Well Moi has and does. I have always wanted to know how and when “Godparents” were created. So after some sleuthing, digging into the depths of birth, faith, traditions and a few gutters Moi found an answer. Apparently it all started in the Medieval Times in Europe when fathers were being forced into war and the mothers were forced into slavery like roles. So while they were loosing their rights as parents they selected another man and woman to take the role of father and mother to their own.

Over the years the role of Godparents has taken a much lesser stance in life. The once honored title of Godparent has been taken for granted. Has been thrown to the sidelines and forgotten.
Moi naturally has a tale to tell about this. A tale of delusion, distaste and broken promises.

It was 1985, 3 o’clock in the afternoon on a Thursday afternoon and my brother and I were taken to my Grandparents house. Well actually it was now my Grandpa’s home because Grandma had recently passed. We were to stay with Big G while Tulips and Big Daddy were in a meeting with their attorney.
While at Big G’s house that afternoon Moi’s Godmother Kara arrived with her husband, Uncle Sam. Then our Aunt Kendra and her hubby arrived, his name is Tomas.

Kara and Sam ordered dinner for all the grown ups. I guess the very idea of feeding my brother and I was unheard of for her.  As Moi thinks back to all the times my parents fed, clothed and cared for each of their children and never once complained or mistreated them, well it makes my blood boil over and my head starts spinning and spewing green slime! Okay that last bit is a bit over the top, but it does make Moi see red.
Because that very day while we were there staying at Big G’s and Kara and Sam went to pick up the dinner they had ordered which we thought was also for us two, well we were excited. We were excited at the thought and vision of that delicious cheesy and meat lover loaded pizza oozing and dripping from our mouths, the bread sticks tantalizing our teeth as we chewed at them and enjoyed the salad that was ever so fresh and tangy.

However when they got back with the food, they all sat down in the dining room with only enough plates for just the adults. Kara instructed that we were not allowed to sit at the table and eat with them. No she instead went into the kitchen and opened a dust covered can of “Dinty Moore Beef Stew” which looked and smelled like wet dog food. She then instructed us to sit on the floor in the living room and eat our partially warmed slop.

They all sat there laughing, talking, enjoying the pizza, salad, breadsticks, and ignoring us. I don’t blame Big G because he was not very coherent as he was mourning the loss of Big Mama. Moi remembers his not even eating a whole piece of pizza. He sat there in a daze, a sad daze while they all ignored him and proceeded to fill their faces. Kara not only filled her face, but she also added more fat to her already large booty. Sam, well he just ate, Kendra well she ate happily adding more poundage to her telephone sized legs while sucking and licking her dentures off. Tomas laughed and tried talking with his mouth full, which even if it was not full you still could not understand what he said.

Moi’s bro and I sat there on the floor just watching this display of disgust. From that moment on, Moi found himself not wanting to be around Kara my Godmother with a capital “B”.

Then years later when Moi was 21, and headed for California to live with a couple that were close family friends so Moi could pursue acting school and work part time at Disneyland. Which was another dream of Moi’s. Anyways a few days after I secured my airfare, packed my bags, and gave notice at my job our friends call and inform us that Barry has Cancer and will need treatments. Well that put an end to Moi’s dreams. But then Big Daddy had an idea, he called my Godmother Kara who now lived out in Arizona with Sam and asked them if I could fly from LA to Phoenix and stay with them for a while? She of course said YES. And so we went and got a plane ticket to take me from LA to Phoenix. The very next day after we paid for the non-refundable ticket Kara being the wonderful Godmother that she was told me that I could not come, as she thought I would be in the way. That it just was not a “good time” for me to come. Well Moi is not stupid, she just did not want to have me there. Since then Moi has never had anything good to say about her. I guess I always thought that a Godparent was suppose to love you, care for you, listen to you, take care of you when no one else could? I thought that a Godparent is to be the one person you can turn to for advice, and someone you can count on, someone that has your back.

Moi has 2 Godchildren of my own. I love them, listen to them, talk with them, love them both deeply. They know that I have their back, that I will always have their best interests in mind.

Being a Godparent is not a duty, it is a honor, a gift of love.
 
 
 

No comments: