My Blog List

Saturday, December 2, 2017

Cold Darkness Chapter 1

It was a bitter cold December evening, as I walked along the snow covered city streets I dreamed of holidays past with family, friends and presents galore. I was on my merry way to the local playhouse (theater) where I was performing in the locally written and produced play “Dark Snow: Winter Bones”. It is a story about a twisted murder that happens on the Eve of Christmas Eve in a small town and it takes many twists and turns up to the very ending, the shocking ending.

A little about me, my name is Chris Stevens, I am 21 years young. My professional interests lie in the performing arts and writing. When I stand I am 5’10 with a slender build with striking features that are softened by my enchanting blue eyes and the happy smile that one can always look forward to seeing. My hair is dark brown, medium in length ending just above my shoulders. I am the lead in the play “Dark Snow: Winter Bones” and even though my character is dead(or am I?) I am still very present during the play.

As I approach the theatre I can hear voices, they are happy, laughing and singing! My mind wanders off for a minute and I am standing there thinking about how wonderfully exciting and challenging this has been. To be apart of such a talented cast and to share it with so many people. Suddenly I am slammed back to reality when the stage door is thrust open exposing my eyes to total chaos and delight! Everyone is changing into their opening scene costumes, streamers are flying in the air, balloons are everywhere they can land, music is dancing all around me and that magical energy you feel just before you are going to go on stage is in the air. It is all happening one last time, tonight. The final curtain will drop at the end of “Dark Snow: Winter Bones”.

After much excitement, hugs, laughter, champagne and roses everyone is ready to leave for various cast parties, and I am ready to just find myself a quiet place to reflect and fall into sweet slumber. Some of the cast and crew are going to “The Crypt” which is a dance club and bar, while others are going to various houses to drink, eat and relax.

As I make my way towards the stage door, I am the last to leave. With me are 4 dozen roses, balloons and a faux “Oscar” from my cast mates. Just as I take a step outside I begin to hear the faint voice calling my name…Chris, Chrissss help me! Where are you Chris? Hellllppppp meeeeeee… I stand there and listen, straining my ears to make sure I heard what I think I heard. What is going on? It must be one of the cast or crew playing a prank on me. They know how sensitive I am to ghosts and lost souls that are in need of crossing over. Could it be? Might there actually be a ghost, a spirit here in this old theatre? 
My heart is beating fast, my pulse is racing, and my mind is going all over the map. I decide to go find out who and what is calling my name. I set down my roses, balloons, and Oscar on a table near the stage door. The theatre is dark and there are only a few lights left on, which blankets the stage with shadows. As I cautiously walk to the center of the stage, while trying to adjust my vision in the darkness I hear it again. The voice sounds young, familiar, and also sad. I stand there listening, it is in front of me, behind me, next to me and above all at once. My head is splitting and my ears are being pierced with the sounds of a child’s voice, my voice. As my head and my eyes dart and dash, I start spinning around looking for the source of my childhood voice, when something pushes me down, down into the orchestra pit. Everything is black all around me and as my body falls to the floor I realize my legs are dangling and there is nothing below me but more darkness and cold. My arms are holding onto something big, I think it is a piano leg. But my hands are getting sweaty and they begin to slip, but I must pull myself up, and get out of here. All the while my childhood voice is still calling my name and now it is above me with a dark figure standing over me laughing…

I begin to loose my grip on the piano leg, my fingers are sliding off fast and my fall into the darkness of the black void comes to an end when I hit the cold hard surface. All is black. All is gone.

No comments: