My Blog List

Friday, April 8, 2011

Bullying, The Sad Reality Of It!

Were you the one that was bullied in elementary, middle, high school? Or maybe it was not until college? Perhaps at work?
 
Every now and then Moi takes a stand, expresses my opinions, and shares my own experiences in hopes of helping others.

When I was in grade school I enjoyed attending class. Moi had a lot of friends, I guess you could say I was popular. I was a blonde blue eyed full of spunk, tact, refined but never stuck up. I would befriend anyone. My mother Tulips was a P.TO./P.T.A parent, hell she was the P.T.A. “The Harper Valley P.T.A.” and the teachers respected her, as did the parents. All was good until the new kid moved into town. We had the same first name. He was a jerk, and a bit of a punk and I began to refer to him as the “imposter“. And soon the kids I thought were my friends, no longer were. Then another boy came to school and soon everyone was so into them, and the other boys in my classes decided to become followers.

Eventually the only kids I had left to talk with were the girls. I was popular with them, because I did not harass nor was I mean to them. And because I was good guy I paid for it. Years of torture, pain, and silence would grow into a world of sadness for me. You might ask “how did Moi pay?” the boys would call me names like, fairy, faggot, and they would tell rumors like: When he was born and his parents found out he was a boy, they decided right then and there that they would treat him like a girl, because that is what they really wanted. Not another son. Or like the time I wanted to date “Alexia” who was funny, edgy, and from the other side of the tracks. But I did not care, because I liked her. The “imposter” and his thugs found out and told her in front of Moi and other kids that if she dated me, she would be a lesbian.

Another time another young lady liked me but we could only date in “private” so no one would know she liked me.

Kids also called me queer eyes. You know if they had called me something like queen eyes, I might have liked it? Even though Tulips was well known in the school, it did not stop and Moi started my long descent into darkness. Eventually I started “talking” to the school counselor. It helped I guess? But I decided the best thing for me was to not talk to anyone, shut out the bullies. Even on the bus I was humiliated, I was the punch line. Hell they would throw objects at Moi even. One particular female who lived nearby(and older) harassed me terribly, she even threatened me. Why? No idea. But that came to and end when my Big Daddy confronted her and her parents.

Then there was middle school, and there were some new losers on the bus, they along with a girl in my class decided to call me “Diane” and were simply cruel beyond belief. I guess it was that year when on the last day of school and Moi had to ride the bus home that I decided to teach the ring leader “Nikki” a lesson. Nikki was covered in acne…or at least her face was. So Moi decided “maybe I could help her?” so I bagged a box of Stridex Zip Pads and left it for her with the driver of the bus to give to her after I got off. He did. She never harassed me again.

The next year in middle school one morning I was at my hall locker minding my own business, when “Ray” walked up to me and said to me “why are you even alive? I mean no one likes you, your parents think you are a disgrace, and you are a dirty faggot” “why don’t you just die?” and he walked away. I stood there for a second or so, I got my coat on and walked to the counselors office and told my pal “Mr.T”, whom of which was the only person I had to talk to. Anyways I told him what happened and that I was done with this place, I was leaving. And I did. I walked that morning in the rain, crying as my tears poured down my face and into the puddles below my feet. I walked about 4 or 5 miles that day. Eventually I found myself at Grams house. She took one look and knew what I needed. Her arms around me. My Grams is, was a great woman, she was after all Tulips’ mother Rose. Eventually I went back to school, but it was never the same. I became even more withdrawn and counted the days until summer break.

High School was even more fierce. And then one day I decided I was done taking the harassment, the bullying, the comments, etc. I remember the day like it was yesterday, when I told “Ray” to go fuck himself! Because no one else would. From that point on I spoke up for myself and for those that could not.
My pal “Mr.T” always told me: As you become more of a class, it will become easier. He was right partially. It did become easier my senior year of high school. I started to change my appearance, started dieting, changed my hair style, got eye contacts, some clothes that spoke “don’t even start” and a backbone. I was done being the doormat. I started to realize and learn about karma. It always comes back around.

I guess what I want you to know is that it is not right to harass, bully, or treat someone like nothing, it is not allowed to rip others apart in school or on the job or just between people you know. Grow UP people!
Parents and teachers need to listen more and watch for the signs. Kids need to stop watching R rated movies, playing video games about killing people, and show respect. Respect seems to have fallen to the wayside. Everywhere! In school, at work, in politics, on the playground, online, and even in church.
People need to start taking notice, pay attention, be a real friend, care about others and not just ourselves. To many kids have committed suicide, taken guns to school and many kids are isolated. Let’s face it, kids are our future. We need to protect them, put them first. Not just have them to line our pocket books with or to look good.

I hope this helps you or many others. Bullying needs to end. Bullying is pathetic.
 
Pain makes us stronger, and if that is so, then I must be the strongest person alive, not to mention the most divine! 
http://www.education.com/topic/school-bullying-teasing/

1 comment:

Jennifer Hogenson said...

I LOVE IT! This is a great piece! Kids can be so cruel and it's easy for them to project their inner insecurities onto others because no one has yet taught them how to effectively deal with their own feelings of inadequacies...some will never learn. Even though you had to endure this torturous experience as an adolescent, do you think it gave you some insight as to how the world works and how to treat others? It seems to me you have channeled these unfortunate incidences to something great! Very inspirational post! ;) Looking forward to reading more!