My Blog List

Friday, January 14, 2011

A Love Beyond Time IV

As I followed the footprints to the large tree I walked around it wondering why Astor had lead me here to this spot, this tree? What was so important and special about this tree? Was this “their” special place? I had hoped to find a heart with initials carved into the tree. As I began to look closer at the tree I noticed something very odd at the root area of the tree, it was partially covered by sand, dirt, shells. As I carefully wiped the object free of the sand, dirt and shells I realized it was an old wooden box that had grown halfway into the tree.

It was surreal and almost like a scene out of a movie like The Princess Bride or something. As I sat there looking at this wooden old decaying box I wondered if there was anything in it? This must be what Astor wanted me to find. It must be.

So how do I get the box out of the tree without hurting this beautiful old tree? I got up and ran to my car to get my emergency road kit out and some tools. I returned to the tree and got out some tools in order to bust open the exposed end of the box. All the while my hands are starting to shake and beads of perspiration are beginning to trickle down my brow, my heart is beating rapidly and my mind is racing with wild romantic ideas. Maybe it is a love letter expressing his eternal love, or what if it is a ring, a picture or a locket?

As I work feverishly to loosen the end of the box I am unaware of the smoldering fog, the still air and the warmth around me or the one lone star twinkling high above me. The end of the box is starting to come off with a little bit of pressure and prying. There it is open! Finally! As I wipe the perspiration from my brow I just sit there and stare at the box. Frozen almost, frozen in the moment. I can feel Astor’s presence near me and a calmness as I reach my left hand into the box and feel around for something, anything. My fingers find something, it is a small box. It feels soft and velvety like, worn bare in some places and I pull the little box out and open it up and just stare at the object inside…
 

No comments: